Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When God Opens a Window...

This is out of chronological sequence and has nothing to do with the vacation. Sorry if that's confusing but I never promised chronological order overall.

Melissa warned me last night not to expect to sleep as well as I had recently. After all, I had slept past noon with the fatigue from the MMRBQ and the severe sunburn. Then I didn't do a whole lot yesterday especially compared to my activities on vacation. I was so injured/sick that I knew better. It was one of those days when you just shut it down and hope that you don't get any worse.

Thus, I was not particularly unhappy when I didn't get to sleep until 7 AM. I was so eager to attack the day that I rolled out of bed on half an hour of sleep at 7:30. Before I could get into the shower, the phone rang and it was my father. He called to tell me that the gift from him of free cable was over. (He brought this up for the first time months ago and gave a very good reason but he's funny about his privacy so I won't try to explain.) In fact, the cable had been shut off overnight while I was trying and failing to sleep. I don't want to get into his reasons so let's just say it was a generous gift way back in 2003 or so and continued to be generous even though we aren't exactly speaking. I may have my differences with him but he is most definitely not a miser. I am not upset with him in any way over this.

Unfortunately, it is still a kick in the ass. The availability of TV has been a major boon to my sanity especially when I'm too sick to do anything or when there's a sporting event on. I was on an amazing high from last week's vacation (despite the sunburn) and so this felt like a sucker punch. Everyone knows the expression, "When God closes a door, he opens a window." In this case, we were blessed with the opportunity to have a wonderful vacation and an old opportunity closed on us.

I'm not writing this to bitch and moan. Honestly, I'm hoping that a strategy to make some lemonade out of this hits me as I write. As much as I'd prefer to deny it, I made a point of watching "Doctor Who" and "Battlestar Galactica" even in Ocean City. Even if all my sports teams fall apart, I'm losing two hours of reliable entertainment during the onset of the worst pain stretches of each day. That's eight hours a week minimum where I will feel worse as a direct result. I never did see the season finale of "Breakout Kings" but that's just the bare minimum of how my strategy for handling Melissa's usual Sunday closing shift will be devastated.

What really pisses me off is that I set myself up for this. Once upon a time, I made a point of not watching TV shows because they could be taken away. I was thinking in terms of series cancellations but the same thing applies here. It's like committing to a relationship. Once you take that leap, you are vulnerable to having something taken away. My entertainment came from books, music on the radio and the 'net with all its wonders.

I need to wrap up this post. There's heavy rain if not a thunderstorm moving in and either one of those will give me a screaming headache. That means I need to find some music, take some medicine and hope my cats will comfort me without stomping on my sunburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment