Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Survived Again

Medical testing is not anyone's idea of a good time. I figured I should start off with that so no one gets pissed off. I just know that my terror of something as benign as a sleep study goes beyond the typical. It's one of those things. I do not fret over needles anymore and they tend to be unpleasant as well.

Sleep studies are actually more painful for me. The tech was even kinder than most yet the process of sticking electrodes to my head is painful no matter how gentle the tech is. That part is easy to explain. The tougher part is explaining exactly why sleeping on camera freaks me out. I know that no one can use an EEG to read my mind but it's invasive at least for me.

Add in the fact that I was already exhausted and the idea of sleeping on a schedule and you have the ingredients for a train wreck. That is where this tech bent over backwards to make it work. She let me set the schedule and so I knew that I was capable of sleeping.

The funny part is how the intense pain drove away part of my panic. As long as the headache eased, I could survive the worst case six hours of boredom. In fact, my usual sleep pattern of little naps held. I had easy access to the time on my tablet so I could confirm the passage of time.

Getting back to the point, the hardest part was walking in there to face my fears. Whatever you fear, you deserve a pat on the back when you face them. That happens to be the worst part every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment