Saturday, June 15, 2013

Exactly What You Need

I have written before about things that could be done to help me cope with my disabilities but I never thought things would get this exciting. Two Saturdays ago, I thought I heard a downpour in my sleep. Then, I looked up at the bright sunshine in my face and realized something was very wrong. I found the source of the flood and shut it off between the wall and the toilet. Crisis averted, right?

When I went downstairs, the ceiling was on the floor. A big piece of ceiling was where my head normally rests when I nap. I had decided to go to sleep in bed for once. I was joking about this being a good thing but you might call it a miracle. No one was hurt. The insurance company has done a good job helping me so far.

Unfortunately, five miserable days followed. I am badly affected by things like noise, stress and strangers around me. Water damage mitigation is all about those things. On the day when they finished, my insurance company got me out of the house and into a beautiful hotel room. This exceptional company will be the topic of another entry about those few companies that go beyond being merely handicap accessible.

Things seemed to be going well until I was notified that the man of my nightmares was in charge of the decisions concerning house repairs.

While there might be a certain degree of misunderstanding involved, the man holds me and my little family in contempt. Melissa and I realized that we wanted to live elsewhere. The man of my nightmares was only about third on our list of reasons why. The main reason is my health. I fall on the stairs at least once a day. Sooner or later, I will land on my head and die. The stairs are painful even when I don't fall.

We need a smaller place with reliable maintenance. I can't live here so I have to find a smaller place.

No comments:

Post a Comment