Thursday, November 29, 2012

Yanking the Rug

You know the old expression "like someone pulled the rug out from under you?" I was feeling buoyant and full of excitement. The WMMR Campout for Hunger is this week and I promised myself that I would go with the donations we have gathered at various sales all year. We were going to go at a good time when stuff was going on and it was going to be fun in the service of a good cause. Unlike last year, we wouldn't go at the last minute.

Even at the last minute, something funny happened to me last year. I was having trouble walking as usual but there were cables everywhere for all the equipment needed to run a radio station on the road. I had a particularly bad near fall and was held up by a nice gentleman who was very polite. Afterward, Melissa informed me that the guy was a member of the parody hair band, "Steel Panther." In their makeup, they pull off the whole "too arrogant to share oxygen with you" act to perfection. Out of character, they're a bunch of nice guys.

Tonight is the first of three State Line "Christmas Beer" tastings being held over about a week's time. I always enjoy the tastings but I find myself hesitant to go again. My medical costs have gone up again and I'm unsure if I want to spend the money. It doesn't help that the price is still listed as TBA on the site and that there's no list of beers. It's even more dangerous to note that the Belgian beer sale is still going on. I want to sip Belgian ale at home. The second tasting features a special guest who is apparently pretty famous in the area beer scene but I've never heard of him personally. That price is also TBA and there's no listing. Do I really want to go there and risk having to listen to some spiel from a famous guy telling us his story? That night is a benefit for the UD Ice Skating Team and I despise ice skating for personal reasons. The third tasting looks like the best one because it benefits "Toys for Tots" and admission is an unwrapped toy or $12 each plus the glass fee. With Melissa working in a toy department, we could do something nice for the kids and get in for less than the standard cost.

Will I be able to go to the campout and have energy left to enjoy the tasting? Somehow, I suspect I'd find a way even if it cost me days of pain. I'm not ready for days of pain again. In fact, I find myself thinking about staying home and saving the money for emergencies. I'm stressing about too many things right now. Up until yesterday, I was doing pretty well with the coming down and relaxing bit. Now there are too many expensive choices staring me in the face.

The result is that someone yanked the rug out from under my buoyant mood. The food needs to get to the Campout because it won't do any good sitting in Melissa's car or the garage. I wish I could get my buoyant mood back but I feel helpless right now.

My pain doc's office called me yesterday while I was asleep to schedule what is likely a pointless appointment. I woke up just long enough to remember the time and the day. I just didn't remember what week it was, of course. The two dates that sound right would both be on the right day of the week. I put a call in and have gotten several calls back. The first was an automated call promising to lower my credit card interest rate because I've made several payments on time. Nice try, putzes. I don't have a credit card! The second call was a hang up. The third call back was from the Executive Putz in charge of the NRA. He is still claiming that the government is going to come for my guns. Well, I haven't worked out in a long time but my wimpy biceps are the closest I come to having guns. Even better, he's lying about the government trying to undo the Second Amendment. I wish he were right!

Pippi chose this call to jump up on my leg, lose her balance and shred me while falling. She left at least two nice long scratches which sting like hell. In case you haven't noticed, the pain doc's office was not among these calls and it's going on four hours of waiting! I haven't decided how much longer I can wait before the bathroom will be too much of a priority. That's not even counting the fact that I got under two hours of sleep to get up and make this call. Okay. My second call was as useless as my first.

My mood has been torpedoed again. The ship is going down. Hopefully, there aren't any sharks in this water.

No comments:

Post a Comment