Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Third Day and the Bad News

After surviving the day before Hurricane Sandy brushed us here in New Castle County and the day of the storm, I thought I was done with the agony for a little while. Tuesday ended up being nearly as bad as Monday. On Monday, I gave up all pretenses of being brave and had a cup of herbal tea or a glass with some amaretto in it most of the day. It was best when I was nearly ready to fall asleep. Unfortunately, there are things worse than pain out there.

Remember my sickie buddy? After appearing to be out of the woods, Melissa's Aunt Lois was diagnosed with cancer again. After her heart attack, she cannot handle chemotherapy so the doctors told her that the cancer would probably kill her. My distraught mother-in-law didn't know any details like what stage the cancer was in. All I know is that surrender is out of the question. If I can handle day after day of agony, she can contact one of the national centers of excellence for cancer.

She needs faith that none of her family will abandon her in this fight, faith in her husband to be there for her, her faith in God that she has demonstrated and faith in the medical science that advances every day. She needs goals like contacting a treatment center and doing the things they tell her to do. She needs rewards but I don't know what exactly she likes to do. It's the trinity of survival and I plan to tell her about it when I can. I can be her substitute coach until her husband is ready if necessary. I think he'll do just fine without my help.

At some point, I was so exhausted by Monday's pain that I fell asleep at night. When I woke up on Tuesday, things seemed just fine like they had Monday morning. By Tuesday afternoon, I was ready to cry real tears from the pain alone. I was doing everything I could just to keep pace with the pain. Eventually, I slept like the dead if you'll excuse the expression only to wake up and face Wednesday.

Wednesday is another story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment