Thursday, January 14, 2016

Sunlight Through the Window

Yesterday was pain doc day so I'm trying to keep the pain at bay using a new/old strategy. I'm trying to ignore the pain by staying very busy though I do need sleep. The phone has been ringing off the hook all day since Melissa left for work. I was downstairs in the recliner trying to sleep with the cordless phone next to me but completely drained. The office phone is my other phone which is up here in the office, of course. It hasn't rung a single time since I started sitting next to it which is Murphy's Law here in the Stapleford household.

As I suggested in the title, there's a bonus to sitting up here. There's sunlight streaming in through the window that's not too bright and not too warm. It's all so very Goldilocks of me but the sunlight is just right. It would be just about perfect if I had a cup of coffee but I've been without for at least a week. I'm not sure if we're in a crisis yet but I'm waiting until Tuesday to ask for more whiskey. So far, I made it through wake up pain without it using medicine and meditation. No, that's right. I didn't sleep so there was no wake up pain but I had something similar but less intense.

I'm sure Joe Pesci could put more into this line than I could but I'm in more pain when I sleep and have to wake up yet I'm also in more pain when I don't sleep at all. The lack of sleep can lead me to more extreme thought patterns involving doom and gloom. Eventually, I find myself with too many cats in my lap and I'm unable to move. Usually, I sleep in naps of an hour or two. Even when I'm on a real sleeping jag, six hours is about my limit. Sleeping longer than that leaves me full of additional aches, pains and difficulty breathing from my post nasal drip. If I can wake up naturally after five or six hours, I have some real energy for a little while especially for literary activities.

I'm going to cut this a little short since the lack of sleep is getting to me. Yeah. My back is starting to hurt and the whiskey must last until Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment