Thursday, September 13, 2012

Coming Down

I woke up around noon to answer the phone and waited for the "next representative" to have the pleasure of hanging up on a person instead of a machine. I remember that this was slightly more disheartening from my days working on the Dark Side. That's when the significance of those first two words hit me. I woke up which means I had slept. That means my sleepless streak was broken. I wasn't rested by any stretch of the imagination so I went back to sleep. Those are some lovely words. I went back to sleep. Later on, I got up so that I could go upstairs and go back to sleep in bed.

Close to midnight, I got up for real feeling a little disoriented with that euphemistically stated "fuzzy tongue" experience. I've been up for a few hours now yet I think I may be headed back to bed soon. The down cycle is underappreciated. No, I don't appreciate sleep enough. There are enough hours in the day to get things done if you keep it reasonable.

Obviously, reasonable for a Chiarian is not reasonable for a healthy person. I'm happy to accomplish one thing in a day. It doesn't even have to be a completed project. It doesn't even have to be all that much progress in measurable terms. My latest writing project was stalled and I came to the realization that it needed more characters. Who cares that they don't make sense exactly where I introduced them? I can always fix that in the next draft.

Neither routines nor drafts are set in stone. I am a day sleeper yet it's pretty obvious that I don't see the pain doc at night. I break my routines when necessary. In fact, I look forward to breaking routines that fail to amuse me enough.

Well, no sense running off on a tangent because I'm trying to keep this short and sweet. I was right. The bad streaks always end just like the good ones. I stopped trying to make myself sleep and it happened. That's not to say it was easy. I didn't start this insomnia streak by trying to make myself sleep. It started when I was overly excited about a project I was working on and couldn't stop thinking about it. I was pleased at the extra productivity at first. The trying to sleep thing came later.

The bad times always get worse until they get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment