Monday, June 18, 2012

Productive Overreaching

I slept too late yesterday and forgot to take my bedtime meds last night so it was an all-nighter. I managed to take two bags of trash out to the dumpster which inspired me to do more. Actually, the first thing I did was clear off the nice couch taking all the junk from that and putting in the disintegrating chairs. I had been getting frustrated at my inability to get comfortable in either chair for a while now.

You have your choice of hazards between the two chairs now. On the left side, you have a back that disconnects on one side. It's not quite as dangerous as it sounds since the back doesn't come all the way off but it doesn't lean back at all. On the right side, you have the chair that exploded. Apparently, one too many screws came loose on that side so the foot rest is not actually connected to anything. If you attempt to recline the right side, you end up with a pile of metal bars and other assorted pieces at your feet.

It isn't that these weren't nice chairs (a divided loveseat actually) but they weren't designed for the sort of wear they got. I fall a lot and sitting is involuntary a frightening amount of the time. These things aren't designed to have the weight of a full grown man flopping down into them for years. It also didn't help that I tended to live in my chair eating and even sleeping there for major parts of several years. It didn't seem possible at first but the collective impact actually bent major pieces on each side giving the poor thing a decided list outward on both sides.

Someone needs to design furniture with people in mind who are overweight and crash land a lot. They also need to make it comfortable and dirt cheap. Right now would be kinda nice since moving the junk from the couch into the chairs is a de facto burial. They are officially dead and I hope to get all the forks out of them before dumping them somewhere. (It's a pun but I did eat several thousand meals in them.) Who would have thought I'd get a chance to make two fork puns before noon?!?!

The moving of the junk is what inspired the dumpster trips but most of that junk is not actual trash. There are several comfortable blankets and what seems like about a dozen pillows in that pile. (What is it with women and decorative pillows?) The dumpster trip inspired the next part of my day. I took an additional short walk to check out the neighborhood pool. I'm glad I did because it doesn't open until noon and I had assumed that would be much earlier. If not for that sign, people would be calling the police right now to report a great white whale that somehow beached itself outside the fence.

In case you haven't guessed, I'm explaining what I meant by productive overreaching. I've done more (just counting the productive/practical stuff) before 10 AM than I normally accomplish in a day. There will likely be consequences later on. I'm feeling a fair amount of stiffness and soreness already. I've overdone it again but things needed to be (over) done. There was also writing, a change to my car insurance policy and lots of gaming but the last one doesn't count for anything except mental wear and tear. There's no guarantee that I've gone too far already but it's close to certain so I might as well take the full plunge.

Speaking of plunges, I've decided to risk going to the pool today despite the remaining scabs on my burns. Hopefully, they won't bar me from getting in and I'll try not to leave anything gross behind. My reasoning is something from Ocean City. I slept so well down there and even on a regular schedule but lost that when I returned home. One of the theories is that I was out and about in Ocean City. It wasn't much exercise but I was moving around getting in and out of the car or walking down to the beach. If that helped me so much, I'm hoping to combine that with the theory of having a routine and take a daily swim. In order to take a daily swim, I have to start with a day so that shall be today.

I was considerably healthier after a week when most of my exercise involved walking in and out of restaurants so I'm wondering what a healthy routine might do. If I replace my rounds of beer (not that I'm swearing off beer - just can't afford to drink like I did that week very often), with laps in a pool, there might be some real improvement that my PCP could appreciate. When this many lines from different graphs intersect in one place, I see something you might call a "sweet spot."

Obviously, I won't be doing any Michael Phelps impressions out there. Laps may end up being a real stretch but moving around instead of sitting or lying down is an improvement. When dealing with chronic conditions, improvement is all we can ask for without being silly. I'll take a full recovery if someone is offering but I have my doubts about that. As for immediate results, I'll take getting away with overreaching this much with no extended periods of agony. That would be good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment