Tuesday, July 31, 2012

PDD: July 2012

It was a matter of two pain doc days this month. The first came right before my wife's trip to Boston and was a SNAFU even by chronic pain treatment care. In fact, it was so bad that I didn't want to write about it in such stark terms and possibly scare people away from treatment that they need. The second appointment was yesterday and it was as smooth as good glass.

The first visit included the following fun features:
  • After being told it was just an appointment for prescription pickups, I had to wait and be seen.
  • The doctor who saw me (one I like if I may say so) didn't have a clue about the course of treatment I've been on for the past half year.
  • I was left frazzled almost to the point of being unable to walk but that's nothing unusual.
  • In my frazzled state, I forgot to bring up one of my prescriptions.
  • In a followup call, I was told that I had been taken off two prescriptions including one they had actually filled that day and the one I forgot to bring up.
  • Melissa backed up my memory that no such conversation had taken place and/or message delivered.
  • I ran out of the one prescription on July 4th. On July 5th (the day before Melissa left for Boston), my calls about it led to me being told it (and one they had given me a prescription for) had been cancelled. I was also told about the non-existent conversation.
  • A nurse at the practice had to perform a service above and beyond the call of duty in order to get me through the 28 days. She collected me enough samples and stayed late after the office closed to give Melissa the meds in the parking lot. I hope this was legal but it sure was the right thing to do and I do not identify doctors and nurses for such reasons.
In comparison, the second visit was pretty normal except for the fact that I felt horrible going in and demanded some answers.
  • I saw my regular doctor and received all my regular prescriptions.
  • I was feeling extra paranoid about the drug testing due to the other problems from the first visit. Therefore, I had taken extensive notes on what meds I had taken when. When I dared my doctor to test me and confirm or deny those results, I was told that I had passed the previous drug test just fine.
  • My doctor found no indication that any conversation had taken place about taking me off any meds.
  • My doctor continued me on all current medications including one where I found a need to adjust how I go about taking it.
Unfortunately, things continued to be normal after I got home. I had been in so much pain during the visit that I fell asleep exhausted for a few hours afterward. Normally, I meditate which always includes some dozing but this was full sleep. As usual, I was unable to do anything serious like writing or game playing. During the evening, I was happy to be able to be upright.

My doctor asked me to give it another 30 days before making any medication changes. This made sense to me because most of my remaining options are on the extreme side. One that I had been worried was my only option is all but ruled out. Others were put on the board as potential changes. As I put it, I plan to live a long life and tolerance makes treatments less effective over time no matter what. Therefore, I need to change things as slowly as I can stand. She reminded me that my back was not truly against the wall. I'm glad she did because I'm not immune to the tendency toward doing stupid things when I think my back is against the wall.

Even at their worst, the practice pulled together and took care of me. Let's just make sure we note that. It was a little shaky but we held it together. That's we as in the whole practice of receptionists, nurses, techs, doctors and me. We're a team and I've always seen it that way. If I didn't, I don't believe my results would be this positive overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment